No Date (c1540) Lugduni, Per Beringos
2 Volumes. 8vo. -592 593-1193 - 21 ff index.
Portrait of the author and occult illustrations/tables in the
18th Ct. full calf binding, gilt spine with raised bands, red and green morocco labels. Ends of spine chipped else in good condition.
Interior complete and in good condition , title page repaired.
Extremely rare first edition of the second part of Agrippa's collected works,. It is easily recognised by the beautiful italic type that differentiate it from the later counterfeit editions. The copy is complete in itself , containing his De Incertitudine, as well as the commentary on Raymond Lull.
Almost all editions of Agrippa's
works are undated and claimed the name of the Beringos Fratres. However all but the present original copy were later (c1600) counterfeit editions probably printed by Zetzner in Strasburg. The attribution of the copy to the Bering brothers can be easily done by the italic type used and by looking at their edition of the De Occulta Philosophia done in 1550 (See the appendix to A.Prost biography on this subject of the editions of the complete works) .
Published during the XVI century, the
works of Agrippa are foundational to both western secular and
occult thought. In his own time, although admired and feared
by many as a powerful magician, he was hunted as a heretic and
necromancer, his books were burned and he was condemned by the
Ref : Caillet/84 : "Edition of utmost rarity, said to be the best and the most complete. It's printed in italic type with the same size everywhere, don't bear any date, has a portrait of Agrippa at the back of the title; in a word it presents all the particularities signaled by De Bure and Brunet, who distinguish it from the reprint produced in 1550 by the same editor in lyon. ... "
Contained Works :
- De incertitudine & vanitate scientarum atque artium declamation inveciva.
- In Artem brevem Raymundi Lulli commentaria
- De triplici ratione cognoscendi Deum liber unus.
- Dehortatio Gentilis Theologiae.
- Expostulatio cum Ioanne Catilinero
- De nobilitate & praecellentia foeminei sexus declamatio
- De sacramento matrimonii declamatio
- De originali peccato disputabilis opinionis declamatio
- de vita monastica fermo
- de inventione reliquiarum B.Antonii Eremitae fermo
- Regimen , seu Antidota adversus pestem
- Epistolarum ad Familiares.